Top 3 Perks of Patient Engagement
- What: There are three improvements to the patient experience that result from better patient engagement:
- Improved patient satisfaction. By leveraging technology to engage patients and, where possible, to improve the process of care, providers should see improvements in patient satisfaction. According to Wright, for example, work the GetWellNetwork has done for clients in the area of medication education has resulted in consistently improved scores on post-discharge HCAHPS surveys.
- Improved quality and safety. When it comes to specific hospital hazards, Wright said the key to, say, improving the incident rate of patient falls lies with educating patients about their responsibility to take necessary precautions. According to Wright, the GetWellNetwork’s Fall Prevention Pathway, which includes risk assessments of each patient and a subsequent personalized education plan, has resulted, in some cases, in 30 to 40 percent increases in safety rates.
- Improved financial and operations efficiency. This is an easy one: Since a big part of patient discharge involves teaching them what they need to do to take care of themselves when they get home, Wright said the trick to timely discharge, and the related savings, is to give them, when they’re admitted, “a checklist of things they need in order to get out on time.” Then, by working with them on the list throughout their stay, rather than waiting until their medical condition has improved, they’ll be ready to leave much sooner.
- Who: As David Wright, chief outcomes officer for GetWellNetwork, sees it, patients who are educated — about both their condition and their care — are also patients who are most likely to get and stay healthy.
- Why: While hospitals may be in the greatest need of doing a better job of educating their patients, Wright said the benefits of interactive care tools are applicable across multiple care settings, including ambulatory and physicians’ offices.
- Source: www.healthcareitnews.com/news/top-3-perks-patient-engagement